on sale now at amazon

on sale now at amazon
paperback or ebook

Staten Island cop, who falsely arrested black man, insists he's not racist


Staten Island cop, who falsely arrested black man, insists he's not racist

In a letter seeking leniency from a federal judge before his scheduled sentencing on Friday, Michael Daragjati said he busted Kenrick Gray on trumped-up charges "not because of the color of his skin, but, rather, because he was rude and disrespectful to me,"

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A former Staten Island cop said his own ignorance -- not racism -- fueled his decision to falsely arrest a black man in Stapleton last year and afterward boast that he had just "fried another n-----."

In a letter seeking leniency from a federal judge before his scheduled sentencing on Friday, Michael Daragjati said he busted Kenrick Gray on trumped-up charges of resisting arrest because Gray had griped after the ex-police officer roughly frisked him on the street.

"I did so, not because of the color of his skin, but, rather, because he was rude and disrespectful to me," Daragjati wrote last Friday to District Judge William F. Kuntz II. "I thought that if he received a DAT (desk appearance ticket), this person wouldn't have learned that he should not be disrespectful to law enforcement. In an attempt to teach him this lesson, I charged him with resisting arrest, causing him to spend two nights in jail while he waited arraignment. This was wrong. ... I am not a racist."

Gray would have been let go had he been issued the desk appearance ticket.

In January, Daragjati, 33, who is white, pleaded guilty in Brooklyn federal court to depriving Gray of his civil rights and to attempted extortion stemming from an unrelated off-duty incident involving a stolen snowplow.

In asking Kuntz for leniency, Daragjati said his family has suffered both emotionally and financially during his eight months of incarceration since his October arrest.

Attached to his missive is what, he said, is a recent birthday gift from his wife -- a collage of photos showing the family in happier times, posing in front of Disney World's Magic Kingdom, building sand castles at the beach and dressing up for a formal affair.

The couple has three daughters.

"This unfortunate spiral of shame renders me speechless. Once outspoken, I am now heartbroken ... from the shame that I have visited upon my family and myself," Daragjati told the judge.

Though the five-page letter is mainly contrite, Daragjati suggests he's been punished long enough.

"I am not too proud to unequivocally state that I was wrong ... [but] it does not do me or anyone else any good to incarcerate me further. This may happen and I accept that. But I do ask you for leniency."

The Tottenville resident and former Staten Island anti-crime unit member could face a maximum of 20 years in prison for attempted extortion, a felony, and up to a year behind bars for the civil-rights crime, which is a misdemeanor. The minimum for each is no jail time.

His lawyer, Ronald P. Fischetti, said federal sentencing guidelines indicate a prison sentence of between 46 and 57 months, although they aren't binding on the judge. Daragjati, who lost his job and pension, won't appeal any sentence of 63 months or less.

Gray has sued Daragjati and the city over the April 15, 2011, incident.

He was busted even though no contraband or weapon was found on him,

After the arrest, Daragjati spewed a racial epithet in crowing about the incident to a friend.

"I offer no excuse or justification for my use of the word, but wish to inform you that I did not use that word out of a racist motivation, but, instead, as part of the culture that I was accustomed to," the ex-cop wrote the judge. "That word was not reserved for people of color; it was used as an ignorant reference to those people in the street because of their conduct and disrespect for the community and members of law enforcement...

"I have come to recognize that while actions typically speak louder than words, when it comes to racially charged language, words trump actions."

In his support, several former colleagues and supervisors wrote the court attesting to Daragjati's excellent police work and his "compassion and generosity" to all suspects, regardless of their race.

The attempted extortion conviction stems from a March 4, 2011, incident.

Authorities said Daragjati tried to get $5,000 from a man he believed had stolen his commercial snowplow. Daragjati ran a construction and snow-removal business called Essential Renovations out of his home, while off-duty.

The defendant was with several other men in a parking lot on the Island when the alleged thief was threatened and beaten. As it turned out, Daragjati later learned someone else had taken the equipment, prosecutors said.

Daragjati said he had become frustrated after authorities told him there wasn't enough evidence to arrest anyone over the theft.

"Most regrettably, I allowed my disappointment to interfere with my better judgment, and I took matters into my own hands," he wrote the judge. "This was wrong. The ends do not justify the means."

But he insisted he never meant for the man to be hurt and never told anyone to strike him.

Rather, one of his cohorts, hit the victim "in the heat of the moment," said Daragjati, adding he accepts full responsibility for the episode.