on sale now at amazon

on sale now at amazon
paperback or ebook

Woman sues Pasco over police brutality


PASCO - Charges of brutality were levied at the Pasco Police Department Friday morning. A woman has come forward claiming officers roughed her up in what turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.

Maria Davila-Marquez claims she's still scarred three years after being arrested by Pasco police.

“I feel terribly, I was discriminated against and I want justice,” said Davila-Marquez.

It all stems from May of 2009. Pasco police responded to a complaint about a suspicious red-headed teenager when two officers stopped Davila-Marquez on her way home. She claims she was interrogated, physically harmed and never got a Spanish translator that she asked for.

“Miss Davila was handcuffed and she was thrown on the hood of a very hot patrol car and she suffered burns to the left side of her face, bruising to her shoulders from being handcuffed and manhandled,” said Davila-Marquez’s attorney Vito de la Cruz.

According to the documents, neighbors came forward to police to explain Davila-Marquez wasn't who they were looking for. She was released only to be charged later with hindering a police officer.

“My comments about a smokescreen relate to the police charging her, that sometimes occurs and often occurs when there is police wrongdoing,” added de la Cruz.

The lawsuit accuses two officers of police brutality, Ryan Flanagan and Zachary Fairley.

“When I go to pick up my kids after a day of work, I'm really afraid they'll stop me again and damage me and hurt me again,” said Davila-Marquez.

Both the police department and city officials declined to comment on the lawsuit because they haven't seen the details of the claim.

“I think without a doubt if there was someone to assist Miss Davila to help translate all of this, we wouldn't be here today,” added de la Cruz.

Now, Pasco finds itself on the defensive until the justice system sorts out what happened three years ago.

Lawyers for Maria Davila-Marquez haven't said how much they're suing Pasco for. They say that will be disclosed if the case goes to trial.